Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Winterized Life

Snow was so much more magical back in 1993 when we survived the "Blizzard of 93." These days the frozen precipitation is far from the enchanting manna it once was back on my 15th birthday in suburban Atlanta.

Time seems to move slower on days like these when winter weather places limitations on plans and normal schedules. The world of white beyond my windows seems to have a personality all its own. Lately, it's felt like a parent shaking a child by the shoulders to gain their attention, though initially it felt like one gently pointing out a fascinating beauty.  

I suppose, like all things do eventually, the interest wore off much too quickly and left me to deal with my self and it's own fickleness.

I'm much more aware of opportunity, it seems, when my options are not as broad as I would like. In some ways, it almost seems that the massive spectrum of possibilities at my disposal on a normal day almost paralyzes me into inactivity or time spent on lesser things. And I only come to this epiphany once certain roads I could normally travel have been taken away.

Maybe this is why the Lord "taketh away", as he did with Job.

Kati asked me today if I knew of a Scripture reference that dealt with time management, and strangely enough, the phrase "evil days" came to mind fairly quickly, which led to Google telling me to look up Ephesians 5:15-16. Strange, I say, because though I'm decent with Internet research, I don't consider myself especially knowledgeable about Bible verses, time management or discipline in general.

"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil." 

Two months from today I'll enter my 34th year of life, hopefully better off than I was at the beginning of my 33rd. Yet, at the same time, it sometimes takes 6 inches of snow in this small town to strip down the options, eliminate some distractions and show me again that I'm a far cry from a disciplined man, and closer to the image of a rich man squandering his wealth with every step of his life.

And in the end, that's really just another way of saying that I'm a sinner in need of Jesus, I guess.

Happy New Year to you that read...May the Lord bless you and keep you and cause his face to shine upon you and give you his peace in 2011 and beyond.

No comments: