Thursday, January 13, 2011

19 Thoughts from Thursday

Of late, I have become acutely aware of the vast amount of processing that takes place in my head on a day-to-day basis. Though much of what happens is less than mind-boggling, there are the occasional "earth-shakers" that cause me to either momentarily forget about the world around me or find the nearest diversion to derail my train of thought so that I can mentally find my happy place of numbness.

Not surprisingly, I've realized that I rarely take the time to jot these thoughts down, much less actually work through them. So, as a therapeutic and cathartic exercise, here are some thoughts from today.

  1. Why do I typically apply more deodorant to my right underarm than my left when I am right-handed?
  2. Does anyone really believe the recorded message that says that their call is important when they are on hold?
  3. Why do I seem more apt to journal in cold weather months?
  4. Is a 24-minute 5K unreasonable for me?
  5. At age 32, am I cooler than my parents were at the same age or did they think the same thing about their parents?
  6. When we have dinner guests over, why do we feel obligated to put out spoons and knives at meals that don't require them?
  7. How well can a person truly know themselves?
  8. What was God thinking when he made the world with less sunshine at different times of the year?
  9. If I lived a more transparent life would it change those I come in contact with or simply repulse the majority?
  10.  Is it possible to purposely pursue spontaneity?
  11.  Who took my copies of "21" and "Rocky 3" and why did it take me so long to notice that they were missing?
  12.  How can something so vital to healthy living become so loathed in seemingly no time at all?
  13. Am I thinking about Heaven, and if so, am I thinking about it terms of "being safe" or in terms of "being fulfilled"?
  14. Am I a magnet for odd people?
  15. Am I one of those odd people?
  16. Would MLK approve of his holiday, both in its focus and how that focus plays out in American culture?
  17. Why does no one seem to notice that saying "I could care less" is not usually getting across the point they are trying to make?
  18. If it's true that fashion runs in cycles, could parachute pants be the exemption to the rule?
  19. Is it possible to understand this life and who God is apart from how I interpret my life experiences, or put another way, is what I believe about God true or simply what is easiest and most comfortable for me to accept?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But what did you think about on FRIDAY?