Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Weather Channel

I love the weather channel. I can't get enough of it. It's probably my favorite channel after ESPN and whatever is showing re-runs of Law & Order.

There something about the combination of comfortable, lazy music serving as the background for complete unpredictability that creates a humorous and strangely appealing experience for me. Sweet sax music dances euphorically from my tv's speakers, while menacing dark clouds hang on a golden sun for Tuesday, and sharp pointy lines shoot off the same golden sun on Wednesday. It's almost like their trying to trance me into being comfortable with the thought of torrential downpours and hellish heat jerking me back and forth. And let's face it, they never really know what they're talking about.

I wish I could be humored by my own attempts to create calm from chaos. While mankind has dominated most of our planet through the ages, interestingly enough he cannot control himself, nor the fact that he has no true control over the events of his day. When it all comes down to it, we're all on a level playing field. And we're no closer to successfully prognosticating our days than we are at laying eggs.

My friend Jason once came to a startling conclusion while writing a script for a short film that would hopefully jumpstart his career as a filmmaker. The film was about a young aspiring screenwriter, so caught up in writing his own stories of heroes and damsels in distress that he didn't realize that he was taking too much creative liberty and making himself the hero in the story that was playing out in his own life. The only problem was that his actions in the movie were not heroic...they were heinous. Yet, in the main character's mind, what he was doing was righteous, probably because it fed a desire that he had for himself. A desire to do what he wanted ultimately.

So, Jason's conclusion? "It all comes down to control." It seemed every situation always came back to this same realization for Jason for the next three or four months, and quite rightly, I often would mock his epiphany after growing tired of hearing it once again. It didn't matter what we were talking about, it all came back to the issue of control. I think I eventually countered that it was less about control and more about selfishness...and I'm not sure that there's a whole lot of difference, but the important thing is that I gave Jason something else to think about.

I've grown more attached to this thought over the years, this control or selfishness issue, and more so now as a married man. Marriage breaks down most of the walls that shield us from seeing our true selves, and in most cases, yields a most unpleasant view of a selfish person. And I fight this knowledge, almost longly for some sweet jazz music to be played in the moments when life is not easy, when either I or my wife or both of us are living for ourselves.

This is an earthly life...enduring through the discomfort of change and the certainty of uncertainty for a life incorruptible and whole. May we embrace the music, enjoy the moments and see less of the bent toward self every day.

Oh, and Jason...it doesn't all come down to control.

3 comments:

J-Dawg said...

You have a gift of possessing a vault of past conversations in you ROM. I vaguely remember my "control" epiphany. I don't remember my thesis... and I am not sure how it clashed with selfishness.
And you are right, it doesn't all come down to control. But a lot does... and I am not taking small fry stuff. Wonder if there were no rules? There were no systems? People stopped going to work? Marketing wasn't able brainwash people anymore? Everyone started kidnapping your loved ones? People started to blow things up and you couldn't make them stop?
And, to tie into your previous post, that is where the Joker comes in. Ahh, the perfect nemesis. Why? Because he wasn't controllable. Money, life, love, death, fear, what people thought of him...they didn't have a hold on him like they do us. Chaos was his game and he would die for it. Scary.
We are all born selfish...but the game of control, especially when it comes to big money and the little guy, that is where it gets interesting. (aka, scary)
(P.S. I don't think conclusion to textbook was control... (but I find that theory interesting and I would like to talk to you more about that.) It was written during my "perspective epiphany" days and, if Textbook did have a conclusion, it would more than likely be, "be careful about killing people. You might have a faulty perspective."
anyway...wish we were discussing this at the Rooster's Crow.

Matthew David Williams said...

Right there with you about the Rooster's Crow, man. It makes me a little sad thinking about our favorite places to visit being gone now. Rooster's Crow, Columbo's, King of Pizza. Maybe the truly great sketchy eateries are like cowboys that simply ride off into the sunset?

Good thoughts, my friend.

J-Dawg said...

oh, yeah, the rooster crow is gone too...
You know, this is why we have to make Matty and Me a reality. We will find these places before it is too late, get them the attention they need/deserve, and pack those triple wides out with customers.
Ye-ah!